Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Finding MY HG Dandruff Shampoo

It feels like a hair day, so I'll continue with another hair care post!

Active ingredients: 1% pyrithione zinc

Inactive ingredients: water, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamide MIPA, coco-bentaine, glycol distearate, sodium chloride, fragrance, dimethicone, pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, sodium benzoate, salicylic acid, carbomer, niacinamide, pyridoxine, HCI, aloe bardadensis leaf juice, citric acid, linalool, limoene, saccharum officinarum (sugar cane) extract, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, methyl cocoate, hexylcinnamal, benzyl alcohol, benzyl salicylate, sodium cocoate, sodium hydroxide, citrus medica limoum (lemon) peel extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, blue 1. 

Experience: I love puberty. It was too awesome. Acne, body hair, odor, and dandruff? Oh yes! So yehhh, being the self-conscious teen that I was, you can bet I've been a hardcore dandruff shampoo user since middle school.

I was a loyal customer of Head & Shoulders shampoo, because it kept the flakies away. And I didn't notice anything wrong with my hair. However, it wasn't until the Great Perm Fiasco of '08 that I noticed that Head & Shoulders was quite damaging. The shampoo turned my perm-damaged hair into straw (ironically, I was using the one for dry scalp) and made my hair so tangled that I wanted to cut it off than deal with it. That's when I read up on the ingredients in the shampoo. I realized the culprit responsible for my further damage was likely sodium lauryl sulfate (responsible for all those foamy bubbles!), which is present in all Head & Shoulders shampoos.

I really wanted to keep using it, since it was an effective anti-dandruff shampoo. I tried other shampoos, but they didn't work as well on dandruff. So I started using Head & Shoulders conditioner, though it didn't have as much of the active anti-dandruff ingredient, .5% vs. 1% in the shampoo. But the conditioner was not that moisturizing, so I had to apply better conditioner to roots and rub the Head & Shoulders in the scalp. Too many steps!

One day, I was strolling through CVS (you can usually find me there) and I noticed that Garnier Fructis released a new dandruff line. Judging from the active ingredient (same 1% of pyrithione zinc), it was a direct competitor to Head & Shoulders. It had the same blue color and fruity-ish scent. It also boasts claims of botanical extract and vitamins. I wasn't impressed, since the shampoos still contained sodium lauryl sulfate.

But wait, the one for dry scalp didn't! It uses sodium laureth sulfate, which is gentler on the skin and hair. I snatched it right up and haven't looked back. You can tell the effectiveness of shampoos if you don't notice much. I knew how much better the shampoo was by the way it didn't dry out my hair, yet still kept "snow" off my shoulders.

I can only recommend dry scalp shampoo. But that's all I need. As long as Garnier Fructis keeps producing this shampoo, it'll have a lifelong spot in my shower. Please don't reformulate this or discontinue! :)

Cost-effectiveness: I paid around $4 for a 13 oz. bottle, because I had a $2 off coupon. Usually, it retails around $5-6 for a 13 oz. bottle, and a 25.4 oz. bottle for $7-8.

Availability: It's widely available, at drugstores like CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. You can basically find it at any store that carries Garnier Fructis haircare products.

A fellow dandruff sufferer with tips to combat it? Did you try this? Your thoughts! :)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...